Join and support your colleagues
It’s easy and there are plenty of ways to join.
- Join online
- Fill in a form and send to: Lee Crutchley, G13 Ashley Building, University of Birmingham (direct debit form or salary sacrifice form)
- Call 0800 171 2194
Once you have registered, email Lee (firstname.lastname@example.org), so we can add you to the branch membership list straightaway.
Become an Active Member
When you make the decision to join, you become part of an active community of professionals supporting each other. Every active member makes our union stronger. There are always interesting opportunities available if you volunteer for your branch, including helping with campaigns and communications, having your say in our meetings, training to become a representative or standing for election.
Types of involvement:
- As an Officer – through annual branch-level elections; officers represent the entire branch membership
- As a Steward for your area of work – through local (workplace-based) elections; Stewards represent their own area of work
- As a Departmental/Workplace contact – by volunteering to be the link between the committee and members (i.e. distributing information, pointing members and potential members to relevant sources of advice, and so on).
- As part of the Committee.
What are we like to work with?
We are a diverse, proactive, generous and democratic community and we are all driven to improve the lives of our members at work. Our branch is run democratically, all officers are elected from members who work directly in higher education. We value what everyone can bring to the table.
What is Unison? What is a trade union?
UNISON is a national union that represents members who work in public services – this includes members in outsourced companies as well as those working directly in councils, schools, Universities, NHS trusts and other public bodies.
- What is a trade union?
- How does UNISON operate?
- Development and learning for members – UNISON offers courses both for activists and general courses for all members
Get in touch with us if you have any questions at all about the branch or if you need advice – we are always happy to have an initial discussion with you, even if you’re not yet a member.