At the bottom of the page you can find our poster and leaflets for the strike – please read them carefully and if you can, print them and distribute them among your colleagues, or collect hard copies from our Union office ASAP.
Strike action Q&A: https://uobunison.org.uk/strike-action-qa
More information about the context of the strike: https://uobunison.org.uk/dispute
Strike action mythbusters (Q&A) – https://uobunison.org.uk/strike-action-mythbusting
It’s the last week before the strike day on Friday – we’ve arranged food and music for the day of the strike and it’s going to be amazing.
Dates for your calendar:
- Tuesday 25th June: all-staff pre-strike rally in Arts Main Lecture Theatre, 12.30pm (non-members welcome). Have a colleague who’s unsure about taking taking strike action? Get them to come to the all staff rally!
- Friday 28th June: STRIKE DAY – do not go to work, come to our pickets instead!
- Times for the pickets: 4.30am and 8am, at all University entrances. We will have food! A strike rally will take place at 11am, by the Guild of Students.
Where to go on the day of the strike
On the day of the strike, head to the following entrances:
Go to the best entrance for you out of these options (there will be committee members or regional staff at all entrances present from 4:30am):
- East Gate
- Grange road (pedestrian entrance by the rugby pitches)
- University station
- Spur road (opposite Multi-storey car park)
Please go to the following:
- COSS, other Corporate services– East gate (by the guild)
- Catering staff, MDS– University station
- Library staff, Security, PPT, Accommodation– North gate (head for the big iron gate leading to the Green Heart to start with)
- EPS, LES, Sport– South, by the Sports centre
- Cleaning staff (after 7:30 starters), CAL– Grange road pedestrian entrance
If you aren’t listed or aren’t sure, go to the East gate (next to the Guild)
UNISON Regional officers on campus
Regional UNISON officers from the Strategic Organising Unit will be in the union office in Aston Webb (WLG2) 8am-5pm today, 8am-5pm tomorrow and 9am-2pm on Friday. They are here to help us encourage people to take part in the ballot, and want to talk to members about how to make the action as impactful as possible, how we use the strike to increase our power. Please drop by to talk to them about your area! The union office is on the lower ground floor of Aston Webb, next to the Hills car park entrance (or just ask at Aston Webb Reception for directions).
You can also call or contact them directly – call or email Natasha on 07432 150542 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Pre-strike rally 25th June – 12:30pm Arts Main Lecture Theatre
We’re holding a big pre-strike rally on the 25th of June for all members of staff at the University (including non-members). There will be a speech from Dudley Councillor and trade unionist Pete Lowe, and we’re also hoping to have a speaker from the Birmingham Homecare Workers following their amazing victory in their 18 month dispute. Please come along and encourage your colleagues to do so too!
Pre-Strike Rally Agenda:
- A speech from Pete Lowe, Dudley councillor and prominent trade unionist
- A speech from Mandy Buckley, senior steward from the Birmingham Care Workers, who recently won their battle in a dispute with Birmingham City Council, protecting working conditions and services for everyone.
- Solidarity Statements from other branches and unions
- Contributions by UCU and UNITE officers
- Our motion backing the strike (just for UNISON members)
Flyer for members:
Flyer for nonmebers: